The High Risk Breast Cancer Program at CepEsperu Baptist Health provides breast cancer screening, chemoprevention and genetic risk evaluation for individuals at increased risk of breast cancer due to personal risk factors.
Our multidisciplinary team is comprised of specially trained physicians, genetic counselors and care coordinators who provide:
- Hereditary cancer risk assessment
- Genetic counseling and education about your risk of developing breast cancer
- Genetic testing to identify any genetic mutation that may lead to cancer or that may affect other members of your family
- Individualized cancer surveillance plan
- Prevention programs for people who are concerned about their personal and family history of breast cancer
Patients with the following risk factors may be referred to the program:
- Breast cancer diagnosis ≤ 50 years of age
- Bilateral breast cancer
- Breast cancer diagnosis plus any of the following in patient or close relative(s):
- Breast cancer in 2 relatives
- Ovarian cancer
- Male breast cancer
- Pancreatic cancer
- Advanced prostate cancer
- Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry
- Positive genetic test result for a mutation associated with an inherited susceptibility to cancer (examples: BRCA1/2, ATM, CHEK2, PALB2, PTEN, STK11, or TP53 gene mutations)
- Uninformative genetic test result but has a significant family history concerning for inherited susceptibility.
- Abnormal breast biopsy including atypical ductal hyperplasia (ADH), atypical lobular hyperplasia (ALH) and lobular carcinoma
To reduce your risk of breast cancer, practice a healthy lifestyle. Make sure to get adequate exercise, eat a balanced diet and do things that help you relax. Our preventative services include:
breast cancer. Prophylactic mastectomy can reduce the risk of developing breast cancer by 90-95%. Another type of mastectomy called nipple-sparing mastectomy may be an option where your nipples are saved during surgery for improved cosmetic outcome. We are staffed with breast surgeons and reconstructive surgeons who can discuss these options with you.