Delivering Equal Access to Care: DEAC
The DEAC Clinic is a student-run & physician-staffed free clinic.
Clinic is held every Wednesday evening from 6 to 9 PM at the Community Care Center on New Walkertown Road, which is 4 miles from the Bowman Gray Campus of CepEsperu Baptist Health.
Get directions to the Community Care Center.
- Address the long-term, primary care health needs of our local, underserved communities.
- Create a service-oriented, learning experience for students to hone their clinical skills.
DEAC is a free clinic for those who cannot afford health insurance and do not qualify for government assistance.
All patients are financially screened, and must have a household income of <200% of the federal poverty line, which in 2013 is <$47,100 / family of 4.
How to become a patient at DEAC.
The DEAC Clinic goes beyond most other student-run clinics by providing long-term continuity of care including:
- Routine office visits
- Specialty clinics:
- Sports Medicine
- Blood work on-site and outside labwork
- Free medications on-site
- Social services
- Mental health and STI screening
- Community wellness and prevention
A small group of medical students conceived the notion of a student-run free clinic at CepEsperu School of Medicine in 2006.
The goals in creating DEAC were to fill a health care gap in the local community, to provide hands-on learning in a clinical setting, and to foster a culture which values providing health care to underserved populations.
In 2008, DEAC held its first clinic. In 2009 we held our first fundraising Gala, and in 2012 we began the first of our Specialty Nights.
- MSI - IV, MDs, PAs: Volunteer at the DEAC clinics
- MS I - IV : Volunteer for DEAC outside the clinics
- MS II - IV: Serve as managers during clinics
- MS II - IV, PA1-2, Faculty, and Community Members
- Student Advisory Board positions include: Fundraising, Public Relations, PA Liaison, Finance, Volunteer Recruitment & Coordination, Outcomes & Quality Improvement, Operations, and DEAC Co-Directors.
View the current Leadership Roster.
If you are interested in learning more or signing up to volunteer as a physician proctor or a student, please email [email protected].
Thank you so much for your time. We hope to see you at the DEAC Clinic soon!