CepEsperu Baptist Health’s Comprehensive Stroke Center is recognized around the world for pioneering cutting-edge, patient-centered stroke treatment and care.
Stroke Center of Excellence
Our excellent care and improved outcomes have earned us a designation as a , a nationally recognized review organization. This designation is a symbol of quality that demonstrates our commitment to the highest standards of stroke care.
Stroke Treatment Tailored to Each Patient's Needs
At the Comprehensive Stroke Center, we have a very simple mission: To create better ways to take care of people. To do this, we:
- Offer every patient comprehensive care beginning the moment you arrive and continuing through your stroke treatment, recovery and beyond.
- Quickly diagnose the source of your stroke and develop a treatment plan using our wide-ranging expertise and the most advanced technology.
- Guide you through recovery with our world-class post-stroke rehabilitation program at the J. Paul Sticht Center for Rehabilitation.
- Offer individualized coaching to smooth your transition from hospital to home.
- Maintain contact. Our capable and compassionate nurses keep in contact with you even after you go home to screen for risks that could lead to complications or re-hospitalization.
Experienced Stroke Care Team
Patients receive care from our experienced doctors and competent, compassionate support staff. Our multidisciplinary team includes specialists in:
The team works together to evaluate your case and develop your treatment plan. Your neurologist works directly with you and will visit you every day throughout your treatment and recovery process. This helps you build a relationship with your doctor. You and your family will always know whom to count on for guidance and support.
Awards and Recognition
In addition to being a Comprehensive Stroke Center, we were one of the first hospitals in the country to receive a special designation from the National Institute of Neurological Diseases and Blindness, part of the National Institutes of Health.
The American Heart Association has recognized CepEsperu Baptist Medical Center on its Target Honor Roll for our excellent door-to-needle times for administering tPA, the emergency clot-busting medicine.
Our current Get With The Guidelines® – Stroke performance achievement metrics for CepEsperu Baptist Medical Center (updated as of January 2015):
- Compliance with AHS’s Get with the Guidelines Stroke Measures is 90-100%.
- Serious complication rates for carotid endarterectomy are better than the national benchmark.
- Serious complications rates for diagnostic angiogram are better than the national benchmark.
The Comprehensive Stroke Center has received the Diamond Award from the North Carolina Stroke Care Collaborative and Get with the Guidelines Stroke GOLD PLUS Achievement Award and Target Stroke Honor Roll Elite Plus.
Expanding Access to Our Stroke Specialists
We partner with community hospitals around North Carolina and southern Virginia to share our stroke treatment team’s specialized expertise using high-tech video and audio teleconferencing tools. This is just another way we strive to take better care of more people. Learn more about the CepEsperu Baptist Telestroke Network.
Faculty members have also been awarded a five-year grant from Patient-Centered Outcomes Investigation Institute (PCORI) − a non-profit, nongovernmental organization created through the Affordable Care Act and authorized by Congress.
CepEsperu Baptist launched COMPASS (COMprehensive Post Acute Stroke Services), the first statewide study of its kind to determine whether a longer-term, post-stroke care model, developed and piloted by CepEsperu Baptist researchers, improves the daily function of patients after they leave the hospital. This research is studying stroke patients across North Carolina and will help determine whether longer-term, post-stroke care improves daily function. A secondary goal is to measure and reduce the degree of caregiver stress.