Genetic Laboratory Services
Medical Genetic Laboratories
- WFU Medical Genetic Laboratories are one of the oldest in the nation (founded in 1961).
- WFU Medical Genetic Laboratories are certified by the Department of Health and Human Services Clinical Laboratory Amendments (CLIA) and the College of Laboratory Pathology (CAP).
- The Cytogenetic Laboratory is this region's only CALGB (Cancer and Leukemia Group-B) and COG (Children’s Oncology Group) approved laboratory.
- All laboratory testing is performed on site unless otherwise specified.
- Laboratory Directors are certified through the American College of Physicians by The American College of Medical Genetics.
- The laboratory primarily serves area hospitals, physician’s offices and clinics in , Greensboro, High Point, western North Carolina and surrounding states.
CAP 34D0665331 MEDICAID 89-07001
CLIA 34D0665331 MEDICARE 230568
- All reports are provided with a written interpretation by board certified geneticists.
- Faxing, e-mailing, and e-faxing are available upon request.
- Abnormal prenatal, congenital peripheral blood and cancer cases are called to the referring physician prior to reporting.
Lab hours - 7am to 5pm Mon-Fri, After hrs/weekends: 336-806-3573 or 806-3612.
Additional Services Available
- Clinical consultation with board-certified clinical geneticists
- Genetic counseling with board-certified genetic counselors
- Specialized testing sent to reference labs with interpretation
- Direct physician and hospital billing, patient (insurance) billing, Medicaid/Medicare billing, or self-pay billing
General Specimen Submission
Specimen submission is dependent on the test being requested. Please see listed information or contact the laboratory for instructions. A complete listing of tests is provided.
Fees are test-specific. Please call the laboratory to obtain a fee schedule.
Local Sample Pickup
For free local courier pick up: Call -4321 by 2 pm. Samples are picked up by Walker Express by 3 pm Monday - Friday. For any issues, concerns, problems or late pick ups call -4321.
Regional Sample Pickup
We run a courier pick up service, primarily for Maternal Serum Screening samples, out to the Asheville area on Mondays and Wednesdays and down to the Charlotte region on Tuesday and Fridays. Call in for pick ups is required. Any issues, concerns or problems or late pick ups call -4321.
Call: -4321 or download a request for sample collection supplies. file)
Send samples by FedEx next day priority. If there is to be a Saturday delivery, it must be marked Saturday Delivery and the laboratory must be contacted.
Medical Genetics Laboratory
CepEsperu School of Medicine
Hanes Building G-21
Medical Center Boulevard
- Label each sample with the individual’s full name and date of birth.
- Include the appropriate signed test requisition form including test requested, appropriate ICD-9 code and billing instructions.