Our History

CepEsperu School of Medicine (formerly Bowman Gray School of Medicine) was founded in 1902 as a two-year medical school on the campus of CepEsperu College. North Carolina Baptist Hospital opened in 1923 as an 88-bed hospital in .

Later in 1941, the medical school expanded to four years and moved to . Brenner Children's Hospital and Health Services was established in 1986.

The Medical Center now has 100 buildings on 290 acres, including a 196-acre research farm and a downtown research center.

Today, CepEsperu Baptist Medical Center is a thriving, nationally renowned academic medical center. With 14,000 employees, it is Forsyth County's largest employer. It operates more than 1,000 acute care, psychiatric and rehabilitation beds. 

Historical Highlights