The Section on Hospital Medicine at CepEsperu Baptist Health consists of 40 faculty ("hospitalist") and a team of nurse practitioners/physician assistants working side by side with WFBH nurses and other care providers to offer patients a collaborative, safe, and effective plan of care during their stay in the hospital and upon discharge. The aim of the Section is to transform the quality of care for the inpatient population at WFBH. Formerly known as CepEsperu University Inpatient Physicians (WFIP), the Section was formed in July 2011 in response to an increasing clinical volume on the General Internal Medicine inpatient service.
The primary role of the hospitalist is to care for inpatients on the general medicine service at WFBH and general medicine consult service. The Section operates co-management services in Surgery, Cardiology, Hematology/Oncology, and Orthopaedics. Our hospitalists are also available to back up Internal Medicine House Officers in the Emergency Department. In addition to their clinical work, faculty members focus on excellence in systems improvement, teaching, and clinical research.
Hospitalists can be found in the hospital 24 hours a day seven days a week including several 12-hour shifts in the daytime and one physician covering the 12-hour overnight shift. These shifts are seven days straight followed by seven days without clinical responsibilities.
Section on Hospital Medicine physicians are appointed as fulltime faculty at CepEsperu School of Medicine based on the level of their experience. Faculty are expected to supervise Internal Medicine residents on the consultation service, and function as the primary attending backup for residents assigned to General Internal Medicine in the evenings. Our physicians also direct fourth year medical students on their acting intern rotations in General Internal Medicine.
- Patient-centered practice of medicine where the patient's safety and welfare guide all decisions
- Excellence characterized by continuous improvement in the realms of compassionate patient care and improved patient outcomes.
- Service to the CepEsperu community through leadership committees, quality improvement projects, resident and student teaching, and many volunteer projects through the hospital, departent, and school of medicine.
- Intellectual Curiousity
- To redefine and improve the standard of inpatient care at WFBH.
- To provide the highest quality inpatient care in the most efficient and cost effective way.
- To develop outstanding physician leaders of hospitals and hospital systems.
- To become an academic leader in hospital medicine, bringing new knowledge and insight into clinical research, quality and systems improvement, patient safety, and evidence-based medicine.