Section on Gastroenterology
The Digestive Health Center at CepEsperu Baptist offers some of the nations most experienced experts in digestive diseases. Our facilities have the most advanced equipment and procedures to diagnose and treat gastrointestinal diseases, a highly trained nursing staff, a full-service anesthesia team, and an environment sensitive to patient comfort and privacy. More than 12,000 endoscopic procedures are performed each year. Patients come to the Center from throughout the country, state, and region with digestive problems that range from the common to the very unusual and complex. Our gastroenterology services were recently ranked among the top institutions in the country.
The Digestive Health Center consists of:
- The Gastroenterology Clinic, a service of NC Baptist Hospital, now located off-campus at Stratford Executive Park in Winston Salem. Consultations take place in a comfortable outpatient setting. Gastrointestinal disorders are diagnosed and treated by our faculty. The clinic is located in Stratford Executive Park (500 Shepherd Street), three miles from the Medical Center.
- The Endoscopy Center, where routine endoscopy and colonoscopy procedures are performed, is now located in easily accessed Stratford Executive Park (101 Charlois Blvd). This beautiful endoscopy suite has parking, easy access, and state-of-the-art equipment and is staffed by CepEsperu Baptist gastroenterologists and endoscopy nurses.
- The Gastrointestinal Neuromuscular Disorders Center, where diseases related to acid, abnormal muscle and nerves of the esophagus and stomach are diagnosed by 24-hour pH and impedance monitoring, esophageal manometry, and electrogastrography. Disorders of constipation and fecal incontinence are diagnosed with special tests. Bloating distention problems are diagnosed with a variety of breath tests. This center is located in the Medical Center. Over 1,200 procedures are performed annually.
- The Hepatobiliary Pancreatic Center, where the most complex endoscopic procedures are performed, is located in the Medical Center. The Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Disorders (HBP) Service, one of the most active in the state, currently performs approximately 750 therapeutic endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) procedures and 1,100 endoscopic ultrasounds (EUS) annually. ERCP provides diagnosis and therapy for diseases of the bile ducts, gallbladder, and pancreas. The EUS service is one of the largest in the Southeast. EUS procedures examine the deeper layers of the gastrointestinal tract and adjacent lymph nodes to detect and biopsy masses. Among the unique services offered at the Digestive Health Center are combined EUS and ERCP under a single sedation at a single visit for evaluation of jaundice due to pancreas or biliary diseases.
- Advanced Endoscopy Services such as endoscopic mucosal resection (EMR) for large polyps, double balloon enteroscopy (DBE) for occult bleeding, and difficult endoscopic procedures are performed in the Medical Center. Ablation of Barrett's esophagus is also performed here. Our double balloon enteroscopy service for occult GI bleeding is the only one in the state.
- Screening colonoscopy procedures for colon cancer and routine upper endoscopies are also performed in the Medical Center outpatient Endoscopy Suite, as well as our suite in Stratford Executive Park.