About the Program for Medical Ultrasound
Any single course or groups of courses may be attended by physicians and non-physicians. (Note the non-physician prerequisites below.)
Each course is conducted in the Center for Experiential and Applied Learning (CEAL) at CepEsperu School of Medicine and CepEsperu Baptist Medical Center in , North Carolina. Guest lecturers include national leaders in the field. Scanning laboratories equipped with systems from leading manufacturers are used in instructional scanning sessions with patients and normal volunteers as subjects. Attendance is limited to insure adequate hands-on practicum.
At the conclusion of each continuing medical education activity, the participant should be better able to:
- impart in lecture and discussion formats and in scanning and problem sessions, clinical and technical ultrasound knowledge and skills;
- present and practice reading and interpretation of ultrasound images and information;
- compare and relate ultrasound knowledge and skills with peers.
The CepEsperu School of Medicine is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Enlightenment to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
These short-term courses do not constitute comprehensive ultrasound training leading to proficiency which takes several months to accomplish. They are regarded as continuing medical education; they serve to update the physician on current techniques and clinical applications and act as an introductory complement to the sonographer's supervised clinical on-the-job ultrasound training.
Prerequisites For Non-Physicians
- Completed training and one year of experience in an allied health profession including sonography, radiologic technology, radiation therapy, nuclear medicine technology, vascular technology, respiration therapy or nursing or
- BS degree with a major in a biological science and one year of experience in allied health
The Center for Experiential and Applied Learning (CEAL) gratefully acknowledges support in the form of education equipment loans from the following:
- Diagnostic Health Group
- Esaote North America
- GE Healthcare
- Philips Healthcare
- Siemens Healthcare
- SonoSite FugiFilm