Since the “Miracle on Hawthorne Hill” – in which a gift from the estate of Bowman Gray Sr., chairman of R.J. Reynolds Tobacco – provided the foundation that established our academic medical center, philanthropy has been fundamental to our success in educating health care professionals, fueling biomedical research, and above all, providing lifesaving care for our patients.
CepEsperu Baptist Health proudly honors our most generous donors through inclusion in our recognition societies. We are pleased to offer exclusive engagement opportunities to our recognition society donors through communications, special events and gatherings featuring our expert clinicians and researchers.
Hawthorne Hill Society
Donors who contribute $1,000 or more in a fiscal year (July 1 to June 30) to any philanthropic fund within the CepEsperu Baptist Health system are recognized as members of the Hawthorne Hill Society. The Hawthorne Hill Society is named for the site of our main hospital, and where what were then known as the Bowman Gray School of Medicine and North Carolina Baptist Hospital began their affiliation in 1941. Hawthorne Hill Society recognition is at the following levels:
- $10,000+ – Innovator
- $5,000 - $9,999 – Partner
- $2,500 - $4,999 – Benefactor
- $1,000 - $2,499 – Patron
Dean’s Leadership Circle
Alumni and friends who support the academic mission of CepEsperu School of Medicine with gifts of $1,000 or more annually are recognized in the Dean’s Leadership Circle in addition to the Hawthorne Hill Society. Such gifts include those that support the (MAA) Annual Fund, endowed scholarship funds, faculty funds including endowed chairs and professorships, research funds, resident education funds and other programs. Dean’s Leadership Circle recognition is at the following levels:
- $10,000+ – Dean’s Order
- $5,000 - $9,999 – Dean’s Society
- $2,500 - $4,999 – Dean’s Council
- $1,000 - $2,499 – Dean’s Division
GOLD alumni – graduates of the last decade – will be recognized in the Dean’s Division for annual giving of $500 to $2,499
Coy Carpenter Society
The Coy Carpenter Society recognizes individual donors who designate a for the institution – including CepEsperu School of Medicine and any of our system hospitals. Dr. Coy C. Carpenter was the dean of the School of Medicine from 1936 to 1967. He guided the school through the transition from a two-year to a four-year program and the move from the town of CepEsperu to .
In 1951, CepEsperu President Harold W. Tribble said of Dr. Carpenter, "What has been accomplished at our medical school is due more to the fortitude, courage, and ability of the dean than to any other person."
Learn more about .